Based in Adelaide, South Australia, the Adelaide Big Band proudly boasts its status earned as one of Australia’s premier community big bands.
The ABB specialises in performing commercial ‘middle of the road’ Big Band Jazz and Swing repertoire that appeals to the average ordinary mainstream punter and casual music fan audience. The band draws its musical roots from the likes of Count Basie, Woody Herman, Stan Kenton, Buddy Rich, Maynard Ferguson, Quincy Jones, Phil Collins and the GRP All-Stars.
The band’s membership is made up of an exceptionally talented group of individuals. The make-up includes teachers, psychologists, engineers, builders, salesman, students, IT support consultants, active professional musicians and retired professional musicians. While the personalities, ages and backgrounds vary greatly, all involved share a strong ‘like-minded’ common passion towards big band music and an enthusiasm to maintain a connection with the art form. Accordingly, given the obvious extent to which big band music is redundant today in both a social and industry sense, the ABB provides as a unique recreational outlet and experience for all musicians involved.
The band rehearses weekly, performs regularly on the local circuit and is frequently engaged to perform at community events, festivals, private functions, corporate events and conference gala dinners as well to back guest performers and touring artists.
Highlights so far include:
- Bublé (Michael Bublé Tribute) @ Marion Cultural Centre (Domain Theatre) (24/11/2017)
- Mount Lofty Botanic Garden’s 40th Anniversary @ Mount Lofty Botanic Garden (05/11/2017)
- Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Awards @ Adelaide Convention Centre (Panorama Ballroom) (03/11/2017)
- Mt Compass Supper Club @ Mt Compass War Memorial Hall (28/10/2017)
- Mary Potter Hospice Fundraiser @ Arkaba Hotel (31/08/2017)
- Quick Steps Winter Ball @ The Ellington (05/08/2017)
- Umbrella Winter City Sounds @ Rundle Mall Gawler Place Canopy (23/07/2017)
- Mostly Music @ Malvern Uniting Church (02/07/2017)
- Sinatra Auditions (Frank Sinatra Tribute) @ Arkaba Hotel (16/06/2017)
- Bublé (Michael Bublé Tribute) @ Arkaba Hotel (18/03/2017 & 19/03/2017)
- Adelaide Music Club Music @ The Grand Ballroom (06/03/2017)
- Bendigo & Adelaide Bank Ltd Christmas Dinner @ Adelaide Convention Centre (Panorama Ballroom) (17/12/2016)
- Bay to Birdwood Finish @ National Motor Museum (25/09/2016)
- South Australian Podiatry Students’ Association (SAPODSA) Ball @ Sanctuary Adelaide Zoo (16/09/2016)
One of the ABB’s specialities is themed events in that the band offers a unique service to customise the musical program to the client’s event theme and vision.
The ABB also offers a number of tribute shows including: Frank Sinatra ‘Sinatra Auditions’, Robbie Williams ‘Robbie Williams Swing’, Paul Anka ‘Rock Swings’, Michael Bublé ‘Bublé’ and Michael Bublé ‘Christmas’.